Friday, August 24, 2007

gophers and flies and bats...oh my

I love science, I love nature and I love animals. I have a hard time kiling spiders in my home, afterall, I did have a pet tarantula until last year one of my students dropped her and she passed on (I was crushed). I usually pick up spiders and let them go free outside where they belong. I struggled with my husband over spraying our yard with bug spray and I do not let my husband smash insects or spiders in front of my son in fear that he will think it is okay to step on the poor little things. However, recently I am almost to my limit with animals and bugs.
Case #1: About a month ago I was cleaning off the patio and found 2 of the biggest and blackest black widows that I have ever seen living beneath one of my sons toys. Keep in mind that I used to have a jar of at least 30 black widows on my desk that my students would bring in to me so these were definitely abnormally large.
Case #2: Pigeons seem to enjoy our neighborhood and tragically end up dead in our backyard. In the last 2 weeks there have been 3 dead pigeons in my back yard.
Case #3: A gopher has moved into our front yard leaving it covered with holes and dead grass.
Case #4: The flies. Since, I live near a dairy I expect to have extra flies; however, I did not expect them to make my front door their home. During the day I am afraid to open the front door because of all the flies that hang out there. Yesterday I looked around at all of my neighbors doors and of course there are no flies. So I wondered....what about my door makes it a fly attractant. The only thing I could see was the door mat so I removed it to see if it made any difference. Today I checked and there were less flies. HOORAY! I thought it would be a good idea to hose off the entryway too see if that helps more. That brings me to case #5
Case #5: Every night some rodent decides that it should poop right in the middle of our entry way. So, there are about four new little black pellets every single day. It must be a rodent family.
Case#6: Today, with Araia in my arms, I started to hose out the entry way and out flies a bat. Yes, a bat. Of course I ran inside to get my camera but it was gone before I could take a picture of it. I am actually a little bummed that I scared it away because I would rather have the bat than the flies!

Sorry this is so long but I am getting a little irratated with my animal friends. Maybe I should just start stepping on spiders.

3 comments:

Amy said...

I loved reading this post! I never knew you had a thing for not killing spiders. I guess it makes sense, though. That's crazy about the bat! Good luck with getting rid of your flies!

The Steenhoek Clan said...

You are so funny. You are definitely handling it better than I ever would. We had a bird perched over our door for months. If I would go out the door at night you could hear it fly away (I thought it was a bat). I discovered it was a bird, when Crystal and Kim were leaving my house one night and it came flying in the house!
All of us were screaming trying to chase it out!

heidi said...

I say, kill anything that is gross.
I don't hate spiders, but have no problem killing them. Bats--gross, except for Edward, and snakes...PHOBIA!